The Continuous Craft Show

What joy in showing off a recently finished craft! What relief in finding someone who can help you work out a crafting problem! Joy, relief, pride, grief - let's exhibit them all here as we share crafts in all forms. Food, paper, wool, glass, metal - whatever the medium, we can show our finished projects and our works in progress, as well as share advice and feedback.

Name:

“I’ve learned the camera well—the danger of it, the half-truths it can tell, but also the way it fastens us to our pasts, makes grand the unadorned moment.” - Letters from Storyville, December 1911

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Christina's Works in Red (otherwise known as More Baby Things)

So since I am "expecting" with our adoption anytime from tomorrow to a year from Tuesday, I figured there were some things I needed to have together in case I had to run out the door and pick up a baby STAT (which has happened to several people working with our agency, so don't think I'm just dreaming dreams here). And what do you carry baby things in? A diaper bag, even though the more I think of it the more I realize that diapers are just the tip of the iceberg that needs to fit in that bag.

Okay - so anyway, I wanted a pretty diaper bag. Not a plastic Winnie-the-Pooh diaper bag (no offense to anyone who wants that) but a real, I-don't-mind-carrying-this-even-after-a-baby kind of bag. And I saw plenty of pretty ones, but they all seemed pretty pricey. Then I saw a really BEAUTIFUL one at the craft version of our Farmer's Market in town, but sadly it cost $160. However, it gave me the idea that since this wonderful woman had whipped up her own, likely out of supplies in my own Missoula area, maybe I could, too! So I looked for a good pattern, and found a Butterick pattern I liked.

Steve helped me pick out the outside heavy cotton fabric, and then I went back to the store later and got the gold brocade for the inside and all of the many notions that were needed for the bag (the excitement of fusible fleece and a sewing in a swivel key clamp were mine!) and set myself up on Fourth of July for some sewing fun. A few calls to mom later, I had finally gotten my tension right for using the extra-heavy-duty thread I decided the job required, and I sewed the day away. It took about eight hours, all told, but here is what I ended up with:




The inside has two elastic-topped pockets, one big back pocket, and two medium-sized front pockets. That is also where the key ring comes into play!




Originally, I was going to cut the pockets on the outside out of the pattern, but Melissa convinced me I would want outside pockets, so I just made them less bulky and put them in. Thanks for the good advice - I actually LOVE the pocket that pouches out with a velcro top, because it fits my wallet and cell phone perfectly. The other side one holds a bottle snugly in place.







So, that's that. The diaper bag is packed with diapers, onesies, a swaddling blanket, formula, and bottles, and it sits in the closet waiting for its day. Any advice on what else I need in there for a rush trip to the hospital?

In other crafting news, I finally finished the kimono-tie sweater I was working on, and here it is - it's made out of a soft red cotton, and at this point I forget which book the pattern came from. My goal is eventually to have a hat to match it, but I've been wooed by a pattern for a cherry-hat that is pulling me away from it at the moment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I adore this bag -- it's perfect! As far as stocking it goes, things that I'd throw in that you didn't mention include a folding mat (fer changin' on), wipes (we throw some in a ziploc, have never used the snap-shut cases you see out there because the wipes dried out in them), and additional ziplocs (for the stinkier diapers or for throwing diapers out at someone else's house -- our method is to throw two diapers and a ziploc into a second ziploc). I'd only put in one additional outfit (we keep our extra outfits in a separate bag in the trunk so it's a quick dash if we need it while we're out but they're not taking up a lot of space in the bag). I'd include at least one bottle of water (you never know when you're going to need to mix a bottle in the car or somewhere without easy access to potable water). A pacifier is a good idea, just in case (even if you think you won't be using a pacifier, can I recommend buying at least one? Because if you break down and decide to use one you're going to want one RIGHT THEN). I always have a few tiny toys/books in my bag, too -- a brand new baby won't necessarily get anything out of that but it's very soon that they can be distracted by things and this way you won't be tossing credit cards into the car seat :) Finally, don't forget the wee flask Melissa gave you -- fill it with something strong. Hope this helps!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

OH! Have you shopped for/made the coming home outfit yet? That was one of my favorite parts.

Also, obviously you're going to need the camera, paperwork and car seat but not so obviously even if you bring your baby home in the summer you're going to want hats and socks with you when you're anywhere air conditioned. Nail clippers are something to bring to the hospital because some of them won't even cut a baby's nails at all. More if I think of it later, love you sister!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thank you for those great suggestions - I needed ALL of them! I was going to make a folding mat, and then got so excited about the bag that I forgot. I'll get right on it. LOVE YOU and thank you for all the help, Laura!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home